Saturday, March 13, 2010

A RANT IN POETIC FORM (Free verse, no rhyme)

I made up a new song.
It should be sung to the tune of “Happy Birthday.”
It goes like this:
“I hate my new class,
I hate my new class.
I hate research writing….
I hate my new class.”

Seriously.
I hate this class.

I thought the LAST class was bad…
That professor required assignments from us on four different days of every week.
She actually told us that it was to make sure we were spending a little time every day on the class.
…because we’re children who need our work and our days mapped out for us?

Good grief.

HOWEVER…

That particular class turned out to be not so bad after all.
The assignments were easy, and the content of the class (and the assignments we created for it) were immediately and easily applicable to my teaching.
By week 7 of the class, I was actually enjoying myself.

I miss that class.

This class sucks.
This class is Educational Research.
It is not applicable to my teaching.
It’s not fun.
The assignments are not easy.
They suck.

He schedules four to seven (SEVEN!!!) assignments for each week, and they’re all due on Sunday at the end of the week.
I appreciate that he’s not trying to micromanage my schedule, but this is ridiculous.
In the first week, we had to read two chapters in the most boring textbook ever written.
We also had to read a couple of articles.
In the second week, we have to read FOUR chapters in the textbook and ELEVEN articles.
AND we have seven assignments.
I shudder to think what Week 3 will look like.
I don’t actually KNOW yet, though, because he doesn’t post the instructions for the week until the last day of the week before.
So even if I could manage to get ahead of things, I couldn’t work on next week’s stuff yet.
The whole workload is so much more than a real on-campus class.

Why?

Why do these people think I have no life?
(Okay, I have no life.)
Why does he think I don’t have a job that I’m dedicated to?
This class sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment