Sunday, October 23, 2011

Rapping About the Equator

The creative projects were a huge success! (Please refer to my previous post if you don't know what I'm talking about.) There were some posters, some skits, a handful of dioramas (what a fun word), two painted styrofoam models, and some rap performances. I now know who the most talented beat-boxer is in my classes... as well as which students would rather draw a picture and which are willing to risk embarrassing themselves in the name of geography. The funniest performance was a rap performed by three boys in hoodies who even worked out choreography for their song. It was catchy, too. This past week (many days after their performance), the chorus line "Equator... goes around the wor-ld" could be heard in our locker pod from someone singing to themselves. I was also amused by the girl whose parents don't like rap and told her that she could only SAY the words to the song, but she was not allowed to say them with any rhythm. (I was happy to let them draw a poster or something else conservative, but they really wanted to do the rap song.) Midway through her verse, she caught herself bobbing her head in time to the beat and had to stop herself suddenly. She looked quite guilty. I'll be interested to meet her parents when parent-teacher conferences roll around.

No comments:

Post a Comment