Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Break in Tropical Spokane

I’m not even sure how to talk about my spring break. I ended up sitting in a Spokane hospital for four days while my dad had heart surgery. Add in the bronchitis that I’ve been fighting for 4 weeks now, and my dad’s crazy family (upset because my mom’s updates can’t be given to both sisters at the same time because one doesn’t text and the other can’t do conference calls), and my brother who travels without a clear plan and leaves to go shoe shopping when my dad is getting released from the hospital and needs a ride, and the infection my dad tested positive for, causing all of us to have to “gown up” every time we visited his room... And you have a complicated and stressful week.

I now know far more about Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane than I ever needed to. I was grateful for the convenient motel across the street offering a "medical" discount for family members of hospital patients and staffed by wonderfully kind people. I was introduced to Qdoba, which I'd never experienced before. (It's good -- kind of a mix of Taco Bell and Baja Fresh, but trendier.) I drank tea made by Thomas Hammer Coffee Roasters (whom I'd never heard of but really like). I bought a cute purse in the gift shop (random and unrelated, sorry). I made fun of the cardiologist's post-surgery hair (wild, bushy, silver). Guess what I did NOT do... That's right, I did not do one tiny little bit of grading!

The bright spot in the week was definitely Hannah, who had everyone smiling most of the time. While my dad was in surgery on Monday, Hannah had us chasing her around the hospital hallways, and she charmed my dad’s nurses immediately (once she was allowed in his room). On the drive home, she kept us entertained with her baby-talk chatter, and once we arrived at my parents’ house and she had access to her toys, she wasted no time in drafting all of us as her playmates. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment