Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Read Across America Day

For Read Across America Day, my school did a number of things to celebrate literacy and Dr. Seuss’s birthday. I was in charge of putting poetry on the windows using dry erase markers. I had my students write poetry, and if I had asked their permission, I would totally post some of their poems here. (But I didn’t. So I won’t. Maybe next time.) My favorite was a controversial poem called “Ode to Black Ops.” This ode extolled the virtues of Call of Duty – Black Ops, a video game played on… I have no idea which video game system. (I’m not actually familiar with this video game. When would I have time to play video games?!!!.) I had a couple staff members complain about the poem because of the violent nature of the game… but my principal agreed with me that the benefits outweighed the questionable nature of the game (although the poem did not describe the violence of the game). Seriously, how often do you see 30-some middle school boys pushing each other out of the way because they’re so anxious to read poetry?!

I tried and tried to convince them that “Ode to Black Ops” is evidence that poems can be cool and funny… Alas, they remain convinced that poetry is some evil estrogen villain waiting for them in dark corners, ready to scribble girly nonsense on their souls with pink glitter gel pens.

No comments:

Post a Comment