Thursday, February 3, 2011

What Happened to January?

Good grief, where did January go? It’s like I came back to school, forgot to look at the calendar, and suddenly lost four weeks! I can’t believe how fast it’s gone; it’s been crazy! Now suddenly it’s February? January has completely flown the coop. It seemed to be an endless parade of meeting after meeting after meeting…

I’ve decided that the time goes by much faster when I’m teaching an integrated curriculum. If I’m mixing language arts and social studies, there isn’t a clear structure to my weeks – LA on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and SS on Tuesday and Thursday. Instead, it’s a mix of both every day… which contributes to my lost sense of time, I think. Interestingly enough, research shows that students retain the greatest amount of content and skill knowledge when they are immersed in one subject for an extended period of time. I don’t think the students like this very much, and few teachers actually use this method anyway. But it really is best for them. Oh well. For now, they’ll have to learn to live with social studies content and language arts skills meshed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment