Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Daily Dose of Random

So I was sitting on the patio outside the Starbucks at Gresham Station last week with the woman who is probably my oldest friend in the world. I met her in 6th grade when I started at a new school in a new town and accidentally splashed cucumber juice on her when she turned around to talk to me at lunch time. Amazingly (and extremely quickly, given the circumstances of our meeting), she decided I was worth being friends with, and we still are. She lives in another state now, but she was in town for several days and wanted to get together. After dinner, we moved on to Starbucks for decaffeinated beverages and hours of chatting. We sat there for about 4 hours total, but this particular story of randomness begins around 10:30 p.m. The patio was somewhat lit by streetlights, but the Starbucks had closed for the evening. There were approximately 10 other people sitting around at the other tables, all of us minding our own business. Suddenly, two young men on bicycles rode up and began to talk to us. They looked late-high-school or early-college in age, and I don't remember how they were dressed. One of them went around to several of the tables asking patrons if they had any bracelets they would donate to him. The other began asking people if he could take their picture. After a hurried conversation about lack of time, the two young men requested that everyone on the patio stand together for one group photo. They said they were involved in some sort of quest or scavenger hunt and that they had to get photos of as many people as possible. So, the 12-ish of us on the patio grouped together, laughing with each other, and allowed our picture to be taken. As he took the picture with his phone, one young man said, "Smile! My parents think I'm asleep in my bed!" Then they jumped on their bikes and rode off into the night.

(Random rating: Crazier than usual, but not quite as odd as street ninjas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment