Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Silver Lining

I know this is supposed to be a molehill, but it's a huge, glorious mountain to me.

The Oregon Department of Education has funding issues. So they have cancelled the 7th grade writing test for next year because it's too expensive to process the tests and pay scorers. (Could it be? There's actually a bright side to the recession!) That's right, no test! For the first time in 8 long years, my students and I will not be slaves to the anxiety produced by the highest of high stakes testing. And while we will still administer writing tests to the students -- probably produced and monitored by my ever-conscientious school district -- it will be at a far more appropriate time in the school year, most likely toward the end of the year. This means I can pace my writing instruction in a way that will be SO much easier for my students to understand and master.

I cannot adequately express how happy this makes me. It's like a "Happy Summer" present just for me! (It's okay, you don't have to care. Just be happy for me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment