Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Pop Quiz for ME

My favorite movie theater sends me weekly coupons because I’m a “member.” I’m not entirely sure how you get to be a member of a movie theater, but I’m part of their loyal patron group. Mostly they send stupid coupons, like discounts for weeknights on movies I never want to see. Occasionally they send me good stuff, and the truth is that I’d go see movies there with or without coupons. In addition to the weekly coupons and the ads for movies that aren’t even out yet, they include a “movie quote of the week.” It’s like my own personal pop quiz! I love it.

Occasionally my students try to give me pop quizzes with movie quotes, but they’re always super easy. (I think there’s some sort of insult buried in that! It sounds like my students think I have no life to the extent that they assume I haven’t seen even the most well-known movies…) Today, one of my girls tried a pop quiz on me. She said, “ ‘Allo, Poppet…” in a British accent and then grinned at me like I was going to be stumped or confused. (For those of you living under a rock, that’s from Pirates of the Caribbean.) I think I said something like, “Come on! You’re not even trying!” Oh well. At least my movie theater challenges me…

No comments:

Post a Comment